The Office of Parent & Family Programs is committed to helping parents and families participate in their student’s experience at UCLA. We believe an informed and supportive family plays an integral role in a student’s educational success. To that end, our office is the “one-stop shop” for all of your UCLA questions and needs. We offer resources for you to understand your student’s experience at different stages in his or her collegiate career. To do this, we communicate regularly with families via our helpline, emails, digital newsletters, Facebook and website.
As defined by UCLA Parent & Family Programs, a “parent” is any caregiver or legal guardian who is actively involved in a student’s endeavors. By this definition, parents include, but are not restricted to: mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, grandparents, siblings, adoptive parents, step-parents, etc.
The mission of Parent & Family Programs is:
- To offer UCLA parents and family members opportunities for involvement in campus and regional activities that promote the University and enrich their students’ college experience;
- To provide parents with a formal link to the University;
- And to make the college experience as positive for parents as it is for students.
Goals and Objectives
- Ensure open, person-to-person channels of communication between parents and the University so that parents can find, or be directed to, reliable University-related information and have ample opportunity to express views and concerns to University administration
- Explore and aid parent involvement across a diverse range of parent knowledge and experiences, including specifically designed communication for those less informed about college
- Give parents opportunities to meet, become acquainted, and to discuss topics of mutual interest or concern both at UCLA and in their home areas
- Enable parents to participate in University life by sharing personal and professional experiences and associations via volunteer opportunities
In collaboration with offices and departments throughout campus, Parent & Family Programs works with parents to help them understand the student experience, support student learning, and empower students to take personal responsibility for their social and academic choices.