UCLA is a mini-city made up many departments and resources for it’s community.  Acronyms are a commonly used when referring to the people, places and things that compose the university. Below we’ve outlined some of the basic acronyms to help acquaint you with your student’s home away from home.


FIR- Faculty In Residence

The Faculty In Resident Program is staffed by UCLA faculty and academicians who reside in UCLA On-Campus Housing so that they can live and work with a specific Residence Hall community.

ORL- Office of Residential Life

The Office of Residential Life (ORL) and Housing and Hospitality Services (HHS) staffs work closely to provide students comfortable and affordable housing options. Their partnership strives to enhance opportunities for academic success, community development and personal growth.

RA- Resident Advisor

Resident Assistants (RA) are live-in, part-time (42%) student staff. RAs are responsible for the administration and implementation of the student development program in a residential community.

RD- Resident Director

Resident Directors (RD) are live-in, full-time professional staff. Each of our fifteen residential facilities is supported by a Resident Director who develops the programmatic vision for the community.


Student Finances and Registration

SIR- Statement of Intent to Register

As the name implies, this is the first thing a newly accepted Bruin must complete to officially register/enroll at UCLA. For Freshman the SIR date is May 1. For Transfers the SIR date is June 1st.


All students have a BruinBill account which displays all charges and payments associated with registration, housing and transportation, as well as other service charges like health insurance. Your BruinBill is available to manage nearly 24/7; just login to MyUCLA.

BPP- Bruin Payment Plan

BruinPay Plan (BPP) is a payment plan which allows you to pay your tuition in either 3 quarterly or 4 semesterly installments.This means you will not need to make the full tuition payment by the term deadline. This is a great option for students not receiving full financial aid to cover all of their fees.


FAFSA- Free Application for Federal Student Aid

Federal Student Aid is responsible for managing the student financial assistance programs.  These programs provide grants, loans, and work-study funds to students attending college or career school.

eFAN- Electronic Financial Aid Notification

Once a student, and their parent(s)/guardian(s), completes the FAFSA it is submitted to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships for processing (if necessary the office may contact the individual for additional documentation).

SRC- Scholarship Resource Center

The UCLA Scholarship Resource Center (SRC) provides scholarship information, resources, and support services to all UCLA students, regardless of financial aid eligibility. They offer drop-in counseling, individual counseling, quarterly workshops etc.


CAC- College Academic Counseling Center

CAC is the principal advising unit administered by UCLA for all students. CAC has full-time college counselors and staff who are available to meet with UCLA College students for same-day appointments Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

CAM- College Academic Mentor

College Academic Mentors are graduate students from a wide variety of academic departments who advise undergraduates in the following areas:

•GE Program planning (freshmen & sophmores)

•Choosing a major (freshmen & sophmores)

•Preparing for Graduate / Professional School (juniors & seniors)


Departmental Undergraduate Advising

Undergraduates may earn a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree in one of 126 different disciplines.  Every major and minor at UCLA has department-specific advisers who can help students with understanding degree requirements, scheduling courses, processing petitions, and enrolling in courses.

ECP- Expected Cumulative Progress

The Expected Cumulative Progress Policy (ECP) is designed to promote four-year graduation for undergraduates in the College of Letters and Science. ECP is a progress check that occurs every two quarters that you are enrolled. If a student is not making steady progress towards his/her bachelor’s degree, which can happen for a number of reasons, the student will be required to meet with his/her College Counselor.

PTE- Permission To Enroll

A PTE number gives your student “permission to enroll” in a class for which they are technically ineligible (either they have not met the class prereqs, or the class is already full). Students can speak with their advisor or professor/TA to request PTE numbers.

TA- Teaching Assistant

Teaching assistants are selected on the basis of scholarship and promise as teachers and serve an apprenticeship under the tutelage and supervision of regular faculty members who are responsible for curriculum and instruction in the University.

AAP- Academic Advancement Program

AAP promotes academic achievement and excellence through academic advising, collaborative learning workshops, mentoring to prepare for graduate studies and professional schools, summer bridge programs for entering freshmen and transfer students, and scholarships for our students.

FERPA- Family Education Rights and Privacy Act

When your student was in high school, you were able to access their educational records with relative ease. At UCLA, we realize that you do not stop being a parent or family member when your student begins college. However, it is important to note that once a student turns 18, or attends a school beyond the high school level, the University cannot release information about the student to anyone. Information cannot be released to parents or other family members because of the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). FERPA’s purview includes grades, disciplinary proceedings, billing and financial aid.

Third-Party Access

Third-Party Access allows a student to give access to their account to another person, typically to parents. Students can grant access by individual function. Third parties can view Study List, Degree Progress Report, Grades & GPA, Registration Status, Holds, Billing and Receivables (BAR) Account, Financial Aid and Address. In addition, the student can elect to have their third party receive billing emails.

Student Life & Wellness

CAPS- Counseling and Psychological Services

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is a multidisciplinary student mental health center for the UCLA campus. CAPS supports the academic and student development missions of the University and the Division of Student Affairs.

UC SHIP- University of California Student Health Insurance Plan

UCLA wants to keep your student healthy! Therefore, all registered students are automatically enrolled in UC SHIP annually. However, if you have comparable insurance and do not want to keep UC SHIP as dual coverage, your student must submit a request to waive enrollment by the specified deadline.

OSD (CAE)- Office for Students with Disabilities (Center for Accessible Education)

UCLA’s Office for Students with Disabilities provides services are designed to meet the unique educational needs of regularly enrolled UCLA students with documented permanent and temporary disabilities. Offers services such as transcription, van rides, and disability parking.

SAC- Student Activities Center

The Student Activities Center houses a gymnasium, some intercollegiate sports, locker rooms, showers, an outdoor swimming pool and multiple on-campus organizations. SAC also houses the Community Programs Office or CPO.

USAC- Undergraduate Students Association Council

“USAC” is an acronym for Undergraduate Students Association Council, the governing body of the Undergraduate Students Association (USA) whose membership is comprised of every UCLA undergraduate student.

SOLE – Student Organizations, Leadership & Engagement

The SOLE main office advises about 1000 campus organizations, helping to register new and continuing organizations, provide programming assistance, and advisement on rules and regulations. The office also approves time, place, and manner for the campus activities of registered organizations.